Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Standing "O" or "Oh, brOTHER"?



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I can't figure these Overstock.com spots out.



OK, we have our "hot librarian" spokesredhead cooing about all the stuff you can get from Overstock.com. "It's all about the O", she purrs, looking seductively into the camera. The all-white sets and props give the spots a definite look of their own, and contrast the bright red O logo and the red hair and reddish flesh tones, too.



Now, this is about as subtle as a two-by-four upside the head. "The O" is so double entendre that it comes to mind in the reverse order that's intended. These aren't going to "trick" us hard-up guys into buying the same way, say, Playboy magazine got us to subscribe by saying "Oh, I read it for the articles". (Yeah, there was a time I actually said that...)



And all these come-hither glances to sell me books, video, electronics and things? Come ON, I might be nerdish at times, but am I really that shallow? I don't think so, because these spots, visual candy though they are, don't even come close to getting me to actually shop at Overstock. I browsed there once, just to see what was up (so to speak)... no spokesmodel anywhere. ???? I Google'd around to find out who the hottie is. OK, so they got my, uhm, investigative juices flowing. And when the spots come on, I don't exactly look away. I mean, c'mon, the lady's kinda hot... But, it isn't gonna translate into sales. If I need a book, I'm still gonna go to Amazon (what an ironic name for a competitor).



So, anyway, here's where I am with these spots: confused. My wife thinks a WOMAN wrote these, and thinks they're genius. She thinks they're pulling just the right strings, and saying just the right predictable things to us "so easy to manipulate" guys. She also admits to having done a little snooping around at the site, and is actually much more likely than I am to purchase there.



I say they're attention getting (a plus), and you do remember the name of the site (another big plus that a LOT of ads don't have going for them) and the ads have created a LOT of buzz on the net that amounts to free additional exposure (among us bloggers, for one thing) but not effective in generating sales (perhaps THE biggest negative for a campaign for an e-commerce site). So I can't decide HOW I should rate these. Now, perhaps if this is part of a master marketing plan to get mindshare first, and then get us to buy later down the road... then they might be onto something of a masterstroke. Guess we'll have to see.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What really matters is that in the end it's all about the "O". ;-)

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sha is loking so... but she have long cloths. mnimum on breest have no cloths.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home